Owning your own home is certainly part of the “American Dream.” Neglecting regular upkeep and maintenance on your home, however, could turn that dream into an absolute nightmare. Buying a home is likely the largest investment you’ll make, protect that investment with seasonal maintenance. With the first official day of summer just around the corner, we’ve provide an 8 Step Home Maintenance Schedule for Summer to help keep your home in the best possible shape, protecting your investment.
- Inspect the exterior veneer (brick/siding) for cracks or loose pieces.
- Clear gutters and downspouts of debris. Make sure that splash blocks and extender tubes are present to keep water moving away from the foundation.
- Clear all foundation and exterior from vegetation.
- Check the exterior hose bib for leaks.
- Test that windows and doors open and close properly and easily.
- Inspect all wood structures such as decks and porches for soft or rotten wood and loose railings.
- You may want to consider staining, or re-staining decking and fences to prevent damage and maintain appearances.
- If your home has shutters that are fading, give them a quick refreshing. Faded shutters decrease curb appeal and give the impression of ill-maintained home.
If you have not already, be sure to tackle these 5 items either Annually or Semi-Annually as well.
- Make/Review an emergency escape plan with your family – does everyone know where to go in the event of a fire or natural disaster? Be prepared. Make a plan today.
- Make sure the house number is visible from the street for first responders to see.
- Have HVAC serviced annually.
- Test for Radon every couple of years.
- Replace HVAC filters once a month.
Need to address repairs or seasonal maintenance but don’t know who to contact? Give The Spackman Group a call 615-840-2692 or 615-939-1252 and we’ll provide you with a list of vendors and handymen in the area our clients have used and had success with. Please, consider us a resource.
You can also visit our website for more information www.thespackmangroup.com.