Whether you’ll be hosting the whole family for a thanksgiving feast, lighting the candles on the menorah, stringing the lights on a Christmas tree, or sharing libations from the unity cup this holiday season, we’ve complied a list to help those homeowners who are being faced with the nagging question this holiday, “Do we list our house NOW or WAIT?”
What has notoriously been “the worst time to sell” may not be quite as bad as you’ve been lead to believe. We wanted to help homeowners, being faced with the decision to sell now or wait, get a better understanding of what it means to LIST and SELL your home during the holidays. Selling your home during the holidays is not without it’s advantages. We’ll help you show you why choosing to sell during these (often misunderstood) 3 months (Nov-Jan), could mean a nice hefty profit for you.
11 REASONS YOU SHOULD LIST YOUR HOME THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
11) Making the decision now to take action and sell your home during the holiday season gives you (sellers) the opportunity to be non-contingent buyers in the Spring when many more houses are on the market for less money. In short, this allows you to sell HIGH and buy LOW. And that’s just good business.
10) Delaying your closing or providing for extended occupancy, is an option for you as a seller at any time of year. This allows you, as the seller, better control when you’ll be out of your house. It’s particularly useful during the holidays allowing sellers to enjoy their homes during the holidays and buyers to conclude the transaction prior to the end of the calendar year. (See # 7)
9) It won’t ruin your holidays, like many potential sellers fear. Don’t let the stress and pressure of making your home available to buyers during the holidays hold you back from listing your home during the holidays. Even though your home may be ACTIVE in the MLS, you still you have the option to restrict showings during the six or seven days around the holidays. Did we just hear an exhale? We thought so.
8) Employees traditionally begin new positions in January. Since these employees /transferees need to be IN a home BY January, they need a selection of homes to choose from. In order for you to cash in on this market, you need to be on the market DURING the holiday months.
7) For financial reasons/tax purposes, some buyers MUST purchase a home/property by the end of the calendar year. This makes the last two months of the year very significant to the real estate market.
6) Since many buyers have additional time/days off of work during the holiday season, they are able to spend more time looking as opposed to a standard work week during throughout the rest of the year.
5) Buyers tend to be more emotional during the holidays, feeling more of a connection to the home they select because of the time of year, and quite possibly those fabulous holiday decorations. As a result, they are more likely to pay your asking price.
4) Houses show BEAUTIFULLY when decorated for the holidays. So deck your halls, light those candles and line up the buyers.
3) When all those potential sellers who decided that disrupting their holidays by listing their home during the holidays decide to wait until January, they’ll wish they’d listed like you did. Why? Because in Mid-January (once the holiday season is over) the number of listings in the MLS will dramatically increase. More homes listed equals more competition. More competition translates into lower offers which (unfortunately) means less money for you, the seller.
2) Since inventory is no where near as high as other months of the year, buyers have fewer homes to choose from. Serious Buyers + Less Competition = More Money For You.
Can we get a drumroll please? And the Number ONE reason to List Your House During the Holidays is…..
1) Less foot traffic and Looky-Loos. Anyone house hunting during the holidays, typically has a very good reason for doing so. So, those looking for homes during the holiday season are more SERIOUS and ready to BUY!
Hopefully, we’ve helped debunk some serious misunderstandings about the undervalued and often overlooked, holiday real estate market.
So our question to you is – ARE YOU READY TO SELL? The Spackman Group at Keller Williams Realty Franklin is ready to walk you through the process. Contact us today to set up an appointment.
Keep in mind, if you are THINKING of selling this winter, you can have your home’s exterior photographed now before the winter season, so potential buyers can see the home in it’s best light, even if you aren’t ready to activate the MLS listing for a few weeks.
The Spackman Group at KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY (Nashville – Franklin)
Each Office Is Independently Owned & Operated
9175 Carothers Parkway, Suite 110
Franklin, TN 37067
email@example.com || 615-939-1252
firstname.lastname@example.org || 615-840-2692
CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK – HERE
FOLLOW US ON TWITTER – HERE
GET INSPIRED WITH OUR PINTEREST BOARDS – HERE
Additional Resource: check out this HGTV Holiday Decorating & Staging Article.